Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Getting old or too young?

Some years ago one of my young friends  told me she was getting old and needed to marry as soon as possible. For a few seconds my mouth was left open. I thought she was too young to talk about marriage so I didn't really know what to say. Later I asked her 'So what do you want to do? You cannot marry yourself and I don't think you should rush into marriage, you still have time'. Well, I guess my sermon was in vain; I realized that when a young girl thinks she is ready for marriage, no sermon can stop her. In many cases they go on and agree to marry the next suitor that comes their way. And all the way they go, they get married and what next?

I wonder what people mean when they say they are getting old-as if they want to remain young. Is growth not supposed to be a good thing? Is there something wrong about growing to certain ages?  Is there a stipulated age when someone must be married? Should young men and women succumb to family/societal pressure when it comes to the issue of marriage? Is marriage all there is to life? Which is better; to be an old single and happy woman or to be a young miserable wife? To be old and free or to be young and in bondage? Is it better to live single and be focused or to be married and loose your vision and zest for life?

Not long after, the young girl came back to me, having been married for three years, and this time the story changed. "I am too young for what I am going through, I don't want to die young...". She begins, "...this is not good for me and if nothing is done I might loose my mind...or even my life" Erm...! Is it just me or is this confusing? lol! Can you be too old and too young at the same time? OK! I see. It was pressure. People made her think she was getting old and needed to marry. She couldn't face it and tell people she was not ready for the challenge of marriage. She didn't know that marriage is a whole new school of higher learning and that you have to be trained and fully prepared before you go into it and even at that, no one can assure you of happiness in a marriage because it is a complex institution that only God can show you how to make it through.

Consider this: A wise man/woman is profitable to himself (Cf. Job 22:2). The best thing you can do is to be useful to yourself and for yourself. Don't live your life trying to please people because when all is said and done, you alone will take the blame for your failure. But the 'sweet' side is that everybody will claim a part of your success story. So why not take your time, enjoy the various stages of your life. Maximize every moment, learn from every experience; take one day at a time, work smart, dance, smell the roses, sing, laugh, relax, pray, touch lives, make the most of life and enjoy 'you'. You are never too old to be happy and you can't be too young to be profitable. This is the one life you have, use it well.

Come to think of it, I am getting old you know. *wink*

3 comments:

  1. I think this is a great article, in today's society; most people have a fear of failure therefore they choose to be single with the benefits of marriage. Life is to short, I believe we should learn to love ourselves right where we are, so when the next phase called marriage comes we can understand that we are neither too old or to young for it, meaning the time is right. When you start right you end right.*wink*

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you are FULLY persuaded that what God has promised he is able to preform it(Roms 4:21)AND when you KNOW that you are apart of the choosen people which makes you 10x better you don't send your time chasing the illusion. You are busy being the best you, and attracting to yourself what is yours in 'divine" timing. Divine timing makes you the prefect age to achieve and receive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good article. Well done sir! We are blessed to read your inspiring blog.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Thanks!