Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Who should have fun on my birthday?

Usually on your birthday people say to you “happy birthday” and some go on to add ‘enjoy your day’. But strange things happen sometimes and I don’t know if it is just me… Why is it that on your birthday people gather together, cook food that they will eat, buy you gift’s that they like and treat you to things they expect you to like? Why do people expect you to celebrate your day their way?

Some years ago someone bought me a shirt and goes ‘I know you don’t like this kind of shirt but I got it anyway’ and I was confused. I thought it was a joke but it seems to happen every now and then.

I think people have a right to do what they love to do on their special day (so long as it is not ungodly). I think people should find out what you love and get it for you on your special day instead of giving you stuff they know you do not like and go ‘try it, you will love it’. Hello!

I like to use my birthdays for reflections and projections. I like to take time out to look back at the year past, evaluate my self, work out how to correct my mistake (s) and make projections for the future. I like to use such time to fine tune my vision vis-à-vis my achievement and failure the last year. I do not like to be tensed on my birthday so gatherings may not help me. Birthdays for me are not for partying; I think I have eaten enough cakes, seen a lot of sights and read enough cards. If there are things I need to see, I do not want to see such on my birthday; if there is a new kind of food I have to try, my birthday is not the right time to try that.

So on behalf of those of us who do not like partying or sight-seeing on our birthdays I’d like to request: please help us to have a happy birthday, find out what we need and help us with it.

2 comments:

  1. LOLOL!!!!!!!

    pls forgive some of us who decided to enjoy your special day without you! I do agree with you though, it's your day and u should determine how it goes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elsie, for your comment and your encouragement too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Thanks!